Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Beautiful Blood



I had him from when he was probably a couple of months old to when he was about 8 and a half, when he became so sick I had to have him euthanized. He would have lingered on a little longer with extraordinary treatment, but it would have been quite expensive and I simply was not able to afford it at the time. I'm so sorry, Blood.

Believe it or not, he was named after a dog. A 'talking' dog in a movie, called 'A Boy and His Dog', starring a very young Don Johnson as a horny little wiseass wandering a postapocalyptic America, accompanied by a wise old telepathic dog named Blood.

I was teaching a drawing class at the time, and when one of my students learned I was looking to get myself a dog, he suggested I adopt the kitten he and his girlfriend had been caring for the last several days. They'd found him and brought him home, but their landlord wouldn't allow a pet, so they were looking for a home for him.

Well, I went to their house to check out the kitten, and I guess I just fell in love with the little furry ball of energy. Either that, or the little claws digging into me as he climbed all over me were tipped with some addictive substance.

I still miss him so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment