Monday, September 6, 2010

'China Act'


The one time I allowed myself to do a piece that deals with a hackneyed topic that I long ago swore I would never deign to touch -- (drum roll) Being Asian In The U.S. of A.

It's hard to see in the photo (I know it's a pretty crappy photo -- but it's the only one I have of this piece, and the original's been sold), but that big bug in the lower compartment is a blown-up version of the actual beetle in the small circular window near the top of the piece. When the big bug was completed I showed it to my cat Blood, who instantly froze, his eyes locked on the thing, and assumed the stalking posture. He was in stealth-hunting mode! He must have thought it was a giant real bug, I guess.  Cats are so much more brave than humans -- I (and most people) would have freaked at the sight of a bug that big.

No comments:

Post a Comment