Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Double Earthworm Rescue

Just now, while taking my morning walk as usual, I came across two earthworms within yards of each other on the sidewalk. The ground being perfectly dry, it was rather mysterious how they had ended up on the pavement far from the soil -- probably the gardener had sprayed the area earlier, and the water having evaporated quickly, the worms that had crawled out were left to suffer a slow, torturous death.

To my surprise they reacted to my touch by wildly writhing and flailing. No stranger to earthworm rescue that I am, I’d never encountered such vigorous defense before – perhaps the other worms had been too weak to put up much resistance. So I guess that means these two worms stood a good chance of making a full recovery once I placed them back in the soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment