Wednesday, February 16, 2011

3 Totally Random Images


This was taken on the aforementioned trip to Seoul, South Korea, in the fall of 2008. My cousin Tami/태미 (who is an artist herself) took me to this gallery that was filled with two thousand hand-painted wood cut-outs of dogs; each one unique, and all made by a single woman. It had taken her 5 years to make them all -- 400 a year on average, and since she probably didn't work on them every single day there must have been days when she made several; now that's fast work! [and dedication -- it took me a decade, working off and on, to make 1,200 little faces...] I wish I could remember the artist's name..! I will for sure amend this entry later to include her name.

Edit: I have been informed by Tami that the artist is Yoon SeokNam/윤석남 (hope I got the English spelling right), a well-respected figure in the S. Korean art scene.


Then there's this one, from the same trip. It was a drizzly afternoon and I was wandering around Cheonggyecheon/청계천, the small but beautifully sculpted river that flows through the northern part of Seoul/서울. Passing by an office building I observed this scene of office workers taking a cig-'n-coffee break. They kind of remind me of a flock of birds for some reason... penguins, maybe?

Speaking of birds, I also came across this cafe/bakery with a birdie(dinosaur?) in the display window near Insadong/인사동, the arts and crafts neighborhood.



Anyway, so here's the real point of today's post: earthworm rescue update! It's been a rainy night and morning, and just a little while ago I repatriated another worm/지렁이 from the sidewalk. There's been a dearth of worm strandings lately for some reason, and I had actually come to miss the tactile intimacy of holding the little creatures in my hand (I'm weird, eh); well, this one was big and I was actually a little afraid to touch it! And forgot to take a photo until the operation was complete, so no photo this time.

Number of worms rescued so far: 24

No comments:

Post a Comment