Friday, November 12, 2010

St. George, A Dragon, St. Agatha

Another old piece from way back when. I planned it as a kind of faux-triptych, with two painted panels set apart by a niche that contains a sculptural element.


This piece was included in a show at the Simard & Halm Gallery (which no longer exists). The curator told me that at the reception a few people had expressed surprise at the fact that the artist was a young Asian guy; based on the traditional, Northern Renaissance-type imagery and the fact that my last name, Suhr, looks German, they'd expected an older European (or at least white) dude^.

[Once I got a call from a guy who said he was researching his family tree. His name was also Suhr, and when he saw my name in the phone book he thought he should check me out, in case we were related... but he was German^; speaking of which, Hahn and Ohm are a couple of other German names that also resemble Korean names]

Again, the photo quality could be lots better -- the lighting situation in my loft is far from ideal, and no matter what I did I couldn't get a full-on shot without glare spoiling something somewhere. Finally I took parts of different shots and reassembled them to obtain a semblance of the original whole.

I'd known of St. Agatha for a long time from the painting by Zurbaran, but had assumed that the objects she carried on a platter were lemons. Then I found out they were her breasts. One of the tortures she endured was the ripping of her breasts, so in art she is shown carrying them, as a sign of her martyrdom.

And no, I'm not Catholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment