Friday, September 28, 2012

Faux Five



I was asked if I knew how to make a paper hat.  I knew how to fold a particular kind of hat, but the querier was thinking of a different kind.  I looked up origami sources online and found something that seemed close, but to me the basket-like shape suggested a container for small loose objects more than headwear.  So I learned how to make the hat -- which I now thought of as a box -- and fiddled with it a little until I came up with this further refined version.  It's very practical, just as I expected it would be -- I actually used it as a bowl for some M&M's before taking these shots.  But then, while absently looking at it I suddenly realized I had been thinking of it as a five-sided box, when it is, of course, four-sided.  How about that.



*For size comparison, this is what you get from a standard letter-size sheet.


No comments:

Post a Comment