Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Wonderful Synthesis

I THINK I SLIGHTLY MISSED MY TRUE CALLING -- I SHOULDA BEEN A ART CRITIC, NOT A ARTIST

I was on my way back to the office from a lunchtime walk when I spotted this unusual, bright spot in an already bright sky. It was pretty, so I stood looking at it for a few moments, then took a shot of it and started to move on -- then I 'had a feeling' and decided to wait around a little bit.






To me there is something magically beautiful, even cosmic, about the last shot above -- it feels as compact and mysterious as a Tarot card. From the messy composition with the sinuous cloud bisecting the image into dynamic yin-yang halves (one half containing the earthly elements and the other, the sky) to the silhouetted trees and the glowing lamps; the violet-shadowy building against the noonday sky that seems both light and dark; the oddly jutting cloud-limb eyed with a rainbow; and even a partial sunbow at the top -- all conspire to create a strangely hushed, timeless and transcendant atmosphere, as if day and night were sharing a moment of stopped time.

No comments:

Post a Comment