Sunday, January 9, 2011

Some Old Things

THE DRAWINGS, THAT IS -- NOT THE MEN


I once got myself a tiny (3 inches by 5) sketchbook that I was going to carry at all times in my pocket. I got the idea from watching 'The World of Suzie Wong'. In that movie William Holden was an artist and he carried a little sketchbook everywhere. I think he meets the titular character, played by Nancy Kwan, when he starts to draw her. It looked so cool and romantic and so like something a real life artist would really do.

It turns out nobody I know does that, and I never really did anything with it, either (in fact I still have the sketchbook and it's mostly blank); but one time I did drive out to Santa Monica beach and made a few quick studies of people that were engaged in activities that required them to stay still for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment