Thursday, December 30, 2010

The Secret Language Of The Earth (Pt. 4)


The stain that remained when a puddle dried up, displays the ethereal grace of a jellyfish.

An absence of water, imitating the wateriest of all living things.


Totally Unrelated Addendum:


These are my neighbors Anne Marie, William and Josh. I first saw them several weeks ago while stopped at a red light on Spring Street on my way home from work (no, it wasn't raining then -- I just hadn't washed my car in a long time and the window was spotty).

Two nights ago I saw them again, at the very same spot (and no, I still hadn't washed my car -- but the window was somewhat cleaner due to the recent rains). And when I parked my car and walked into the lobby, they were there, too. Turns out we live in the same building.



Worm Rescue Update: Yesterday morning I rescued two worms. I followed my usual procedure, which is to scrape away the top layer of soil to expose the moist earth beneath (although these last few days it really wasn't necessary), place the worm in the depression and cover it lightly with grass, so as to hide it from birds.

I wasn't sure if that was enough, though, and it bothered me. I checked online under 'worm rescue', but the search didn't turn up any specific tips, so I went to the County Library website to ask a librarian via instant chat. Happily, according to the librarian's research, it turns out I've been doing the right thing all along. In fact, I've been doing more than most worm-rescuers, if the YouTube videos are any indication; most people seem to simply place the worms on the soil and leave them there. I even saw someone letting a child literally throw a worm into the grass...

Number of worms rescued so far: 22

2 comments: