Monday, December 6, 2010

Rainbow Cloud

In East Asia this would probably be referred to as a 'five-colored cloud'. I don't know why it has to be five colors, but that's the traditional term. Maybe there were thought to be five primary colors..? Or maybe it was one color each for the traditional five elements (fire, water, wood, metal, earth)? Or for the five notes of the pentatonic scale? Maybe the five basic flavors (sweet, salty, sour, bitter, hot/spicy). Or the Five Relationships of Confucianism/五倫 (sovereign and subject, parent and child, husband and wife, elder sibling and younger sibling, and friend to friend -- I hope I got 'em right). There are probably many other groups of five. Of course, it could just be that the number five was imbued with a generic mystical significance. Anyway, Asians have always loved to group things in numbered units:



Addendum: I just noticed that the 'fossil' fish I made many years ago bears a strange resemblance to this photograph of a skeletal cloud-dragon from the Nov. 8th post (I did crop the original images for clarity):



Worm Rescue Update: It rained last night, and this morning I rescued 5 worms! The two in the photo below were found near each other in the middle of a huge parking lot. I don't know what made them crawl so far out from their homes, but I do know now that having a pair of earthworms squirming and writhing in your hand tickles like crazy. I remember it also tickled when this snail kept kissing my fingertip. Maybe it was trying to decide if my finger was something edible or not:



And the next photo shows another of the lucky quintet, whom I found vainly trying to crawl to safety, all covered in debris and getting dried out on the porous cement of the sidewalk, poor thing:



Number of worms rescued so far: 16

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic blog, really interesting and original. Thanks for your comments about my Korean blog, I have updated the information and added a link. I have a blog about a wonderful trip to an island, that I hope to write about this weekend so hopefully can give you a few ideas of places to visit when you arrive back on these shores. Thanks once again.

    ReplyDelete