Saturday, December 25, 2010

Reminiscing


This is a lizard's tail. It dates back a bunch of years to when I was living in the bottom half of a house with my cat, Blood. Blood was an indoor cat, but now and then I'd let him out(only when I went out with him, though) to run and explore a little.

There was an overgrown grassy strip next to the house, and Blood liked to play amongst the tall weeds there. On one occasion I saw him acting stealthy, intently watching something in the grass. He was clearly in hunting mode. When he suddenly dashed in I went in after him and found him occupied with something, something small that he was worrying with his paws.

I managed to get him away from it and took a close look -- and it turned out to be the severed tail of a lizard. A pretty good-sized lizard, judging from the size of the tail. It was still squirming a little, so obviously Blood had just pounced on its owner, who detached the tail and ran away to safety, leaving the appendage to distract his attacker.

I brought it home and placed it in a small container and filled it with alcohol to sterilize it. I left it there for several days to give the alcohol a chance to permeate it and replace the original fluids -- I guess it was a kind of makeshift embalming process. After several days I took it out and buried it in some salt, and left it there for a long time -- a few weeks, I think.

When I finally took it out, it was completely dessicated and hard as a rock. It had shrunk slightly, but otherwise it had kept its shape well. In effect, I had made a small mummy.

I felt a little sorry for the lizard who lost his tail, but at least he escaped with his life by sacrificing it, which is a pretty good trade. And some time later, I actually saw a big lizard sunning himself amidst the grass in the same spot -- so it was probably the very same lizard, and he was none the worse for the experience.

Addendum: Oh, and it's raining again. I thought there was supposed to be no more rain for a while..? (Not that I mind; I love wet weather)

No comments:

Post a Comment