Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Made-Up Character 4

YOSIP BOGDANOVICH KOVALENKO,
STEPHEN JAY GOULD IMPERSONATOR


If one's admiration for a scientist is measured in number of books purchased, the late Stephen Jay Gould was my favorite scientist. I've got 10 of his books. When he passed away I was so sad...

But then I found Yosip Bogdanovich Kovalenko. That's him up there, hovering above this post like a god.

He is the only Stephen Jay Gould impersonator to come out of Ukraine. In fact, he is probably the only professional Stephen Jay Gould impersonator in the entire world. He's so good, it's uncanny. When I watch him perform, saying such Gouldisms as: "Evolutionary theory swept away the creationist rug that had supported the intense debate between monogenists and polygenists..." ; and "I have not been able to ascertain whether (Charles) Dawson was Catholic", I swear I get goosebumps -- it's as though SJG himself were back from the great beyond, lecturing away before a rapt and spellbound audience.

Thank you, Yosip Bogdanovich Kovalenko, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment