Sunday, April 27, 2014

Some Recent Acquisitions

(Not all from the junk shop across from the office)


Not everything is represented in this photo, which shows a very old American movie (silent!), a pretty old Italian movie, a so-so old Japanese movie and a recent Korean one.  Plus an ornament which puzzled me at first, because I thought it must have a function other than looking pretty.  And I made a conscious decision to pick up an old bad habit I quit years ago.

Anyway, I didn't know anything about the plot of the Chaplin movie 'City Lights' other than that it involved a blind flower girl who mistakenly believes Chaplin's character -- yet another incarnation of the Tramp that he made famous -- to be a wealthy man.  [HERE COMES A SPOILER -- SKIP THE REST OF THIS PARAGRAPH IF YOU WANT TO FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF WHAT HAPPENS;  BUT IF, LIKE ME, YOU DON'T MIND HAVING PLOTS SPOILED, READ ON]

For some reason I thought the movie would end without the girl -- now able to see thanks to the Tramp's sacrifice -- ever discovering the true identity of her benefactor;  I was gratified to find that she does indeed learn it was the Tramp who was responsible for her regaining her sight.  And as I watched that ending scene, my eyes welled up with tears... whaddayagonna do, I'm just an old softie that way.

One more thing -- I also bought a new hat today.  A derby, similar to the one the Tramp always wore.  I don't know if this qualifies as one of those 'degrees of separation' things, but the reason I became interested in the Chaplin movie is that I am something of a fan of the Korean singer IU (yes, that's her name, pronounced Eye-You), whose last album featured a song titled 'Modern Times', which is a tribute to Chaplin in his guise as the Tramp (and by all means check it out on YouTube -- it's a pretty good song, promise^).  In looking up the Chaplin movie the song is named after, I came across 'City Lights', with which I was vaguely familiar, and impulsively ordered it online.  Once it arrived though, I let it sit on my coffee table for weeks without opening it, and then just a few hours ago I finally watched it.  Maybe it was the derby sitting on my head that gave me a subliminal cue.


MAYBE I'LL GET A FEDORA NEXT

[Here's my other hat:  Selfie With New Glasses And Bad Haircut]

No comments:

Post a Comment