Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Ugly Omelet

The other day I made a 3-egg omelet for dinner.  My favorite kind of omelet is ham-mushroom-and-cheese (got used to 'em while living in the dorms at USC all those years ago), but as it was a spur-of-the-moment thing, I didn't have any ham or mushroom on hand.  I was, however, able to make do with Canadian bacon, onion and tomato, with a dash of hot sauce.

When making an omelet I like to use a big skillet so I can spread the egg extra thin, and I also prefer it a little underdone so it's still runny-to-sticky inside.  This method results in an omelet that's delicate, soft and with the egg meeting the melted cheese halfway so that they kind of blend together into a rich lava of flavor.  As far as I'm concerned this is the best way to appreciate an omelet -- however, it also means I have to be very careful when plating it, since it's less sturdy than an omelet that's thick and well cooked through.  Sometimes the omelet just breaks apart as it's coming off the skillet, and the result is this:


That was rather disappointing, but the important thing is, it was DELICIOUS.  If eggs didn't have cholesterol I'd eat these every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment