Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Rather Jungian Reflection

On numerous occasions over many years I have encountered in dreams a certain aspect or aspects of my mind in specific female forms.  Or in the guise of what may be an animal equivalent, as cats.  It/they may appear in light or dark guise.


When it's a light female it is what I have come to call The Sunny Blonde.  She is alluring and smiling.  She exudes erotic attraction, and sometimes she seems to literally glow with glorious beauty.  Once she appeared as a hitchhiker who asked me to save her from a sinister stalker by driving her to a police station.


When it's a dark female -- and the Dark Woman has made many more appearances than the Sunny Blonde -- it is sometimes an Asian woman with flowing black hair, but more often she is an actual black woman.  And once it was a pale, goth-styled poetess from New York with black-dyed hair, dressed in a black vinyl coat and working by candlelight in a previously unknown extension of my sleeping loft (this image seems to be a synthesis of someone I knew in real life and images from Balthus' early black-and-white illustrations for Wuthering Heights).  When it is a cat it is a black kitten -- however, on one occasion both a white and a black kitten appeared together.


Several nights ago the Dark One made two appearances in one night.  First it was a slim, attractive young black woman.  I remember hooking pinky fingers with her in a gesture of promise.  Then in a second dream it appeared again, as a black kitten that licked me.  I wonder what was the message that was so important/urgent that it needed to be delivered twice, and both times with emphatic physical contact?  I wish I could have asked it.


One thing I do know is that, among whatever other things, it is somehow bound up with my spiritual yearnings, because my earliest memory of the Dark Woman is that she was a prostitute waiting for me in the 'parking lot of Tibet', and for me (as for many people, obviously) Tibet has always stood for mystery and mystic knowledge.  Why a prostitute?  Possibly a symbol of the same thing represented in Tantric art by mating pairs of male deity and female consort;  a union of complementary principles.

Related post: Eve,  The Temptation of Eve,  The Birth of Venus

No comments:

Post a Comment