Friday, October 28, 2011

A Nude Sequel

The skies around the Cathedral of Our Lady of Angels are turning out to be quite productive in interesting imagery, and not random images, either.  Last year I posted a photo taken near the church, of a cloud that hauntingly recalled a standing female figure in a full-length cloak (image).  Then just the other day, in more or less the same area I saw this wonderful display:


A standing nude female figure this time -- possibly headless, in the best Classical tradition.  In fact, one might consider the figure to be a statue and the shell-looking cloud to the immediate right as the mold the figure was cast in (granted, a bronze statue is not very likely to be found headless, but it's possible) -- or perhaps it's a dress trailing a magnificent train, which the figure has just cast off.  It may even be that this is the very same cloud from last year (see the link above --  and click here to see another case of a cloud found much later), and she has just doffed her cloak, revealing herself to mortal eyes in all her glory.  I heightened the contrast a little for the detail below, not that it really needed it.


A great follow-up indeed.  This is reminding me of the Titian painting known as 'Sacred and Profane Love'


I believe it's the nude figure that represents Sacred Love;  Profane Love is represented by the richly-dressed, worldly-looking lady.  However, in the case of my cloud figures I don't see anything profane about either of them.  They both are lovely and mysterious to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment