Sunday, September 18, 2011

Reminiscing

We were both art students at USC.  She was a couple of years behind me.  And she had a bit of a crush on me.  I had a bit of a crush on her, too, but at the time I was too inexperienced, insecure and afraid of rejection to do anything about it.  I agonized for about a year -- all the while keeping up a pretense of proud indifference, of course -- before I felt somewhat confident enough to approach her, but by then she was bored with Mr. Wooden and moving on to another guy -- one with way more flash.  A proud, beautiful Spaniard like herself (she actually introduced us;  once I found him in the men's room struggling to tie a necktie for the very first time;  I helped him tie it on properly, then found out he was on his way to meet her).  Oh, well.  At least I got this painting out of the whole painfully awkward year.  One of the figures is a straight-out portrait of one of us.  So is the other one.


No comments:

Post a Comment