Sunday, September 18, 2011

More Camouflage

This is the Wiltern Theatre at Wilshire & Western.  It's a landmark located in L.A.'s Koreatown.  It's a great old art-deco building that once had gone to seed and was actually in danger of being demolished before it was revived as a performance venue for cool acts.  It's where I've marveled at David Copperfield's magic, listened to Nana Mouskouri sing, and saw my first X-rated movie ('Flesh Gordon', a well-made and hilarious spoof of the classic 'Flash Gordon' serial and now something of a cult classic itself).


Surprisingly, it turns out the building is equipped with a kind of quasi-camouflage.  As one drives westbound down Wilshire Boulevard, it appears superimposed 'inside' the building behind it, and does its best to blend in.


It works better for the shaded right side of the building in this photo.  I imagine it would be much more effective overall when the two sides are more evenly lit by the sun.  Anyway, while I was approaching the intersection and preparing to take the above photograph, I saw this poster for a new movie:


Looks like some art director has been thinking along the same lines as me.

EDIT(9-25-11):  Yes!  Thanks to a hazy afternoon..!


For some reason this is reminding me of the creepy ant-mimic that resembles two ants close together.


No comments:

Post a Comment