Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Today's Hummingbird Photos




I really enjoy watching hummingbirds in flight. They hover in place, then suddenly dart away, only to stop in midair and hover again -- no other birds can do this. These tiny birds enjoy the extra freedom of insect flight. And maybe I'm anthropomorphizing, but they really seem to enjoy all that flitting about. Young antelope may 'pronk' in place -- suddenly springing high in the air with all four feet -- for the same reason; in spontaneous expression of playful exuberance. I know I feel like this sometimes, too -- when I'm feeling especially lively and light on my feet while out on one of my walks (for some reason especially in cool damp weather -- maybe it's the ions in the air or something), I've wanted to jump and shout and prance, but of course I never give in to the impulse -- I'm already known as somewhat of an odd egg around the office. On the other hand, around my downtown neighborhood with its 'Blade Runner' mix of characters I probably won't stand out so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment