Friday, June 24, 2011

More Old Art

I WISH I COULD BUY IT BACK


This was a special favorite of mine. Not the least because it embodied a whole range of my particular interests in a very clear way: fossils; mysterious mechanisms; multilevel 3D illusion; dreamy nostalgia invaded by dissonant 'real' objects; all flavored with a bit of wistful melancholy and packaged in a decorative cathedral-style shell. While preparing this image for upload, I realized that I was doing steampunk long before I ever heard the term^.

'The Flying Fish' was shown in an exhibition at a community art center. An older couple loved the piece and wished to acquire it. However, they offered a price which I considered inadequate remuneration for the labor I put into it. I made a counteroffer, suggesting a price which I considered a reasonable compromise between their offer and my pride.

They were adamant about the price they were willing to pay. If it weren't for my pathetic financial situation at the time, I would have refused...

A sad memory thereby became associated with a favorite piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment