Thursday, March 21, 2024

The Architect Should Get A Bonus

I discovered this wonderful church yesterday not far from my home.  My timing was not great, though;  when I spotted that cross of light on the wall the afternoon was lapsing into evening, and the cross was nearing the edge of the wall.  Besides which, the sky had been alternating between clear and overcast all day, and just as I got ready to photograph the cross a cloud obscured the Sun and the cross vanished.  I stood there anxiously waiting for the Sun to return (actually uttered an expletive at one point, which doesn't seem too appropriate when one has one's gaze fixed on a church...), but when it did, the cross had already moved partway out of the wall.  I took a couple of shots anyway, but decided not to use them.  Instead, I went back today at an earlier hour and managed to score a clear shot.  It's glorious -- somehow, the fact that the cross is not a real object but a fleeting, ephemeral phenomenon of light and shadow seems to add an extra dimension of spirituality.



Another occasion when I went back later to photograph a scene: Exit No.5


No comments:

Post a Comment