Friday, July 5, 2013

First Time Trying This

The photographs I put up here usually are intended to be taken literally, for their visual interest alone.  Their points are the images in and of themselves, not abstract or technical qualities that might be implied but not inherent to what the eye sees.  Certainly there are exceptions, and many of them, but most often, what you see is what you get.  So normally I try to obtain the clearest, most distraction-free images possible, and that includes doing what I can to smooth out overly grainy images.  That process can result in loss of very fine detail, but usually extremely high resolution is not necessary for getting my points across.

This time, though, when I ran this image through a noise filter I realized it was less interesting.  Is it because its point of interest is not a figurative subject?  Perhaps.  Anyway, I ended up doing the opposite of what I normally do -- made the cloud grainier.  And I think the image is improved thereby.


No comments:

Post a Comment