Tuesday, December 5, 2023

I'm Not Easily Impressed, But

My friend S.Y. invited me to attend a special holiday event at his church.  While I'm not formally religious, I am Christianity-friendly (#1#2, #3, maybe #4, and certainly #5) as well as Buddhism- and Judaism-friendly, so I went.  The program turned out to consist mostly of amateur singing by church members, and I have to say I was kind of bored and wishing it would be over soon -- but then this marionette lady came on, and I became thoroughly engrossed.  The main part of her act consisted of manipulating a doll to paint a picture, set to poignant music, then another doll blowing up a balloon, sitting astride it and riding it around the room.  I don't know anything about puppetry, and most likely such things have been done by others, but no matter - I certainly had never seen such puppetry before, and it was entrancing.



No comments:

Post a Comment