Saturday, September 2, 2023

Черные глаза

Today I had occasion to experience something that is strange and unusual, perhaps even unique - a girl with the most extraordinary eyes.

I was rattling along on the line 3 subway train.  At a stop I don't remember, this young woman got on with her mama or auntie and sat across from me.  She was pretty attractive and of course I noticed^.  At first I thought she might be a foreigner because of a certain cast to her face, but maybe she wasn't, as the older woman she was with was quite 'ordinary' looking (of course, I don't mean that in a derogatory way).  Anyway, I kept stealing glances at her because - well, you know, just because^ -- but didn't really note anything unusual beyond her pretty features;  but then she turned to look in my direction, and I was transfixed!

Her eyes were - I don't know how to describe what I saw.  They were certainly normal-sized, but it seemed to me - at least at the time - that they were amazingly deep and dark, almost like the big black eyes of cartoon characters, only "blacker than black".  That's the only way I can describe it -- her eyes were "blacker than black".  What the heck, I was just spellbound.  How is it possible to encounter something like this in real life, on a living person?  On a noisy subway train ride full of distractions, no less?  After that first shocking eye-lock I kept looking at her, and yes, even when she wasn't looking at me directly, her eyes seemed huge and "blacker than black".

I don't know, maybe she was one of those human-disguised extraterrestrials the ET-nuts are always going on about;  or maybe I was recognizing someone I knew in a past life?  When someone impresses me deeply that's my standard explanation^.



Call me sentimental, sure, maybe even kitchy, but it may well be that similar collective experiences of others before me have resulted in this well-known song, "Очи чёрные" (Dark Eyes):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quA5c2oOa_8

No comments:

Post a Comment