Saturday, November 9, 2013

Last Week's Worm Rescue

For a long time I had not run across any stranded worms on my walks.  My schedule has not changed, so maybe the lawn sprinklers are on a different schedule now?  Either that, or the neighborhood worms have been getting smarter^

Anyway, last Monday morning there were an unusually high number of dead worms drying out on the sidewalk.  Among them there were two that were still alive.  They were barely clinging to life, but when I picked them up they had strength enough to writhe a little in response, so maybe they were able to recover once I put them back in the earth.

ONE WAS DESCRIBING AN ELEGANT, CALLIGRAPHIC SQUIGGLE 


THE OTHER ONE WAS REALLY FAT

Number of worms rescued: 69

1 comment:

  1. When my daughter was in elementary and I used to walk her to school every morning, there was always a certain time of year when the worms would seems to migrate en masse from one side of the lawn to the other.
    One morning she decided to rescue as many as she could, because she noticed how many had been stepped on by all the other families which traveled that same path to get to the school.
    I let her rescue as many as she could in a little more than 5 minutes, but it was getting late and I needed to get her to school on time.
    Occasionally, nowadays, if she sees a worm stranded on the sidewalk, she'll make time to rescue it.
    The earth needs them. We need them.

    ReplyDelete