Sunday, November 27, 2011

Going Home


Evening conceals

Evening intensifies

Evening saddens

Evening is beautiful


AND OF COURSE, THIS BLOG IS EVENING-COLORED

I remember some years ago -- it was late summer, I think --  I drove my mother to Loehmann's on La Cienega.  The place was pretty packed, and we had to park on the roof.  When we came out after shopping the hour was growing late and afternoon was folding into evening.  An unexpected breeze full of cool dampness was blowing, and a light, very light, misty rain began to fall.  It was wonderfully revivifying after the stuffiness of the store below.  I felt the chill and the wetness on my face and arms, perceived the lowering of the light over the world, and the orange and purple hues beginning to appear in the sky, and all of a sudden I felt filled with a strange excitement, sourceless joy and -- I don't know what to call it... wonderment? immanence? ions in the air..? -- and I wanted to shout and scream, jump up and down and run around right there on the roof of the parking structure.  I didn't actually do any of that, and the feeling passed after some moments, but I remember telling mom that I hoped my afterlife would resemble this.

No comments:

Post a Comment