Thursday, September 17, 2026

Mantis Rescue

Well, maybe not "rescue" quite so much, but definitely "guidance" at the very least.  I came across this mantis on a sidewalk on my daily walk.  It was in a dangerous situation, as it was in the middle of a busy path, and even as I was watching people walked past it, a few of them narrowly missing it.  I wanted to take it to a safe location, but I wasn't sure about how it would react to my picking it up -- mantises do have those powerful front limbs with the sharp claws;  I've seen a photo of a large specimen actually spearing a hummingbird with them! -- so I chose to gently prod it toward the edge of the sidewalk, where it would be safer.



Turning to look at me when I touched its rear end^^


Safe at last

Related post:  worm rescue

No comments:

Post a Comment