Sunday, October 6, 2024

Funny, Then Sad

Or funny and sad, in two parts.  First, the funny (and cute) part:  I was just walking down an alley in an unfamiliar neighborhood, looking and photographing.  Then I came upon this building


with a pair of vent shafts behind a railing.  The pipes looked for all the world like a big brother and a little brother looking out a window, watching the world go by, perhaps pointing out interesting shapes in the clouds to each other.  Maybe this sounds a little odd, but they were "adorable" -- at least I found them so.


Now for the sad part.  While preparing those images to post them, I was reminded of something else, something truly heartrending.  Some time ago while cruising the internet I had come across these images of captive animals in a zoo, pining for the freedom that is rightfully theirs.  The murals of their former environs decorating their cells serve only to cruelly tantalize them -- they are "looking", but not "looking out".  I wonder if they know that they will never be free again.


No comments:

Post a Comment