Saturday, October 12, 2024

Another Appeal

I came across an innocent-seeming photo of a cloud.  I got an inkling though, and so I turned it on its side, and something extraordinary happened.





Instantly, the cloud has become the very picture of grief, the victim of some grievous wrong, passionately making its case to Heaven and the world, informing all and sundry of the injustice done against it.  In this it somewhat resembles this tree in a previous post;  but whereas the image of the tree was comical, this one seems genuinely pained, like there's a great, transpersonal tragedy being appealed.  The tree was funny because it reminded me of a panicked chicken with that "coxcomb", whereas this cloud has that exaggerated, Chagall-esque mask for a face that I think would fit seamlessly on Shylock -- another very famously wronged character -- from Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice.


Marc Chagall, Self-Portrait (1960)

No comments:

Post a Comment